Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hot Punch, the Drink of Many Aliases

Last Saturday, I made a punch that I suspected would be the "fruit tea" that I had drunk on special occasions like Thanksgiving in rural Tennessee when I was dating a native. It was indeed that drink and when J tasted it, she said, "This is Russian Tea," the drink her mom and aunts always made when their family made their annual vacation pilgrimage to a rental cabin in Bruce Mines, Ontario. It is sweet and delicious on a chilly fall evening.

Hot Fruit Punch/Fruit Tea/Russian Tea
2 qts. apple cider
3 tbsp. red hots (AKA cinnamon imperials)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 c. orange juice
2 c. pineapple juice

Simmer everything together for about 20 minutes. Serve hot. You can serve this with cinnamon stick stirrers, but my almost grandma Lenore says that's gilding the lily.

No comments: