Monday, April 30, 2007

Cooking for John & Nola

My cousins came down to my grandies' house for dinner last Wednesday, bringing their sweet baby boy with them. Since I had a mid-term Thursday & knew I wouldn't have a ton of cooking time, I got out a slow cooker recipe for boeuf bourguignon, adapted from "Barbarians at the Plate". As soon as I returned from class Tuesday night, I prepped the ingredients & tossed the whole shebang in the fridge before going to bed. In the morning, all I had to do was take it out & let it come to room temp while I got dressed, then start it before I hit the door.

When I got home about 4, the whole house smelled wonderful and dinner was almost ready. I turned the beef down to the "Keep Warm" setting and studied for awhile. About 6:15, I made a batch of mashed potatoes and prepped the salad. Everything was ready just when they arrived at 7. I served the beef on top of the potatoes (Nola is not eating wheat until she's done nursing) and the salad, adapted from an August 2003 Bon Appetit recipe, alongside. Easy and delicious!

Slow Cooker Bourguignon
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 lb. boneless lean beef, cut in bite-size pieces (I saved time by buying pre-cut beef for stewing)
8 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
1 c. dry red wine
1 onion, chopped
8 oz. sliced mushrooms (bought these pre-sliced)
1 tsp. herbes de Provence

Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Toss flour with seasonings to coat. Cook bacon on medium about 10 minutes and drain on paper towels. Put in crockpot. Cook beef in bacon grease until well-browned. Put in crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Good over mashed potatoes, rice, noodles. Serves 6.

Spinach, Apple and Cheddar Salad
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
6 oz. baby spinach (I used Fresh Express' bagged, although I prefer Earthbound Farms)
2 Granny Smith apples, cut in bite-size pieces & sprinkled with lemon juice
8 oz. extra-sharp cheddar, cut in small cubes (Cabot's or Tillamook, if possible)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts, toasted

Whisk the first three together, adding salt and pepper to taste. Chill. Mix the rest together and either toss with enough dressing to coat or serve with dressing on the side. I like to serve the dressing on the side so that a. the salad won't get soggy if we have some left over and b. people who are picky about dressing aren't distressed.





No comments: