Friday, September 07, 2007

Trying Again

Well, the last Friday night Boot came to visit, I made a crappy Cuban dinner. Tonight, I had Latin food on the menu again. I wasn't terribly worried, but the thought did cross my mind that bad things might happen again. They didn't and we had a delightful dinner. I made burgers, plain for the boys and "Argentine burgers" for the grown folks. For those, I just mixed a pound of 90% lean hamburger with 1/4 cup of chimichurri from my sweetheart's plant. If you don't have access to pre-made chimichurri, it's really easy to make.

Traditional-Style Chimichurri
1 & 1/2 bunches curly parsley, finely-chopped
3 tbsp. minced garlic
1 c. olive oil
1/2 c. white vinegar, lime juice or lemon juice
Salt & pepper

Whisk everything together & let stand for at least 2 hours before using. This is great on steaks. It's also a good dip for chips or bread. You can also make it with green onions added in.

So, I made patties & J broiled them. She put American cheese on the boys' burgers and queso blanco on ours. I made fried plantains, very, very ripe, and they were fantastic. We had fruit salad from the grocery and two different kinds of chips. We'd been to Jungle Jim's and I picked up Goya yuca chips and Donita plantain chips. I made brownies for dessert and it looks like Boot & J have wiped out half the pan already! I'd better have one or I will be out of luck!



No comments: