Monday, December 14, 2009

Blustery Cleveland Night Chili

Thursday night, I'd planned chili for dinner as a nice welcome-home for J when she arrived from Vegas. Her plane was coming in late and I liked the idea of having something we could eat at dinner-time and I could reheat for J if she was hungry when she got home. I am ever so glad I did have chili in mind because the weather was atrocious and I really needed something warm and comforting. The wind was blowing like all the fiends of hell, rattling all the windows as though it wanted desperately in from the cold as much as I did. I tried macaroni in my chili, not something I'd ordinarily try, but a good choice nonetheless. Of course, my chili was chili mac by the time I was ready to eat some leftovers, but it was delicious chili mac. I am not a chili purist, just someone who likes yummy dinners. I mixed up a box of Jiffy corn muffin batter and poured it into a butter-slathered iron skillet to bake. It was perfect.

Blustery Cleveland Night Chili
1 lb. burger
1 onion, ch.
1/2 green pepper, ch.
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato soup (the condensed sort)
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
2 tbsp. chili powder
A good shake of salt and a good grinding of pepper
15 oz. can beef broth
2/3 c. macaroni
Sour cream & shredded cheddar for garnish
Spray pot with cooking spray. Brown meat with onion & pepper. Add garlic, tomato soup, tomatoes. Add beans, chili, salt & pepper, broth. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni. Lower heat & simmer 10 minutes. Serve with garnish & hot cornbread.

No comments: