Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mediocre Meatloaf

I wanted to make a nice, homey meal for this snowy night. Meatloaf with mashed potatoes & lima beans seemed to fit the bill. I chose a meatloaf recipe from J's mom's "West Point Hostess" cookbook, from about the 1960s. I didn't have cornflakes, however, nor Corn Chex to sub, so I used dry bread crumbs. The consistency wasn't what I prefer and there were some sticking issues which would be resolved, I expect, with a little cooking spray in the pan. The meatloaf tasted fine and my aunt liked the consistency, as well, but it was too mushy for me. Maybe you like it mushy.

Tomato Soup Meatloaf
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
A dash of pepper
3 tbsp. chopped onion
1/2 c. tomato soup
1/2 c. milk
1 c. cornflakes
1 lb. ground beef
Ketchup
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix everything but ketchup together and place in loaf pan. Bake half an hour. Top with ketchup. Bake another half hour. Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.

No comments: