Monday, May 02, 2011

Veggiful Joes

On a cold, rainy night like tonight, it was nice to come home from the grocery after a long day at work and make cozy comfort food. This was my first attempt at sloppy Joes from scratch. Not bad, but I have to admit (hanging head in shame) that I like Manwich better. Now, if I chose not to call these sloppy Joes and came up with another name, I'd be happy to eat 'em just about any day. I think they need about twice the ketchup and maybe a quick dash more Worcestershire sauce. I served them with tater tots and corn because, really, are there any better sides for sloppy Joes?


Veggiful Joes


1 lb. extra-lean ground beef

1 green pepper, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 zucchini, chopped

1 tomato, chopped

8 oz. tomato sauce

2 tbsp. ketchup

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Salt & pepper to taste

4 multi-grain English muffins


Brown & drain beef. Add veggies and sauce. Cook 5-7 minutes. Add seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Toast English muffins. Serve on muffins. You could do open-face sandwiches if you are looking to get some of the carbs out of your diet. Serves 4.

No comments: