Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Breakfast for Dinner: Scrambled Eggs, Sweet & Spicy Bacon, Cheddar Muffins

Breakfast for dinner is quite popular at my house, as I expect it is at many of your homes. Sometimes when we have it, it's because other plans fell through, because nobody really feels like cooking, because I forgot to thaw the chicken for the stir-fry we'd planned to have. Other times, breakfast for dinner is 100% planned and intentional. This particular one is that sort of meal. However, it really doesn't take long to pull together and you likely have most of the ingredients already on-hand. It really is a scrumptious combination, especially if you like cornmeal muffins (if you don't, just sub all white flour)! I assume y'all have your own preferred way to make scrambled eggs. They were the very first thing I learned to make all by myself, standing on a chair in our tiny kitchen at the age of 5 or 6. So, I will leave you to your own methodology (or to Google) on that.

Cheddar Muffins
1 c. flour
1 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar (me, I would go a little scant on this)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (and I would lean more toward the 1/2 tsp. personally)
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. shredded cheddar
Toppings (I left some plain---with a little extra cheese on top---and put pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds on others---not all together, but that'd probably be great)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tin cups. Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Mix the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Add to the well in the dry ingredients, then stir in. Add cheese, mixing well. (if you'd like, it wouldn't hurt to add some chopped scallions) Stir until just smooth. Fill muffin cups almost to the top. Sprinkle with desired toppings. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool on racks 5 minutes before serving.

Sweet & Spicy Bacon
1 lb. thick-sliced bacon (I used center-cut)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. crushed rosemary

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bacon in an even layer on a baking sheet (rimmed, please!) and cook 10 minutes. Combine the other ingredients until well-mixed. Turn over bacon and sprinkle evenly with the mixture. Cook until crisp & browned, another 5-7 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper-towel-lined plate. 

















No comments: