Thursday, January 05, 2017

Cannellini Beans & Spinach, January 3, 2017

My sweetie knows how much I love cookbooks, so I got three for Christmas. She got me the King Arthur Flour cookbook, one by Martina McBride, and Ina Garten's Cooking for Jeffrey. The other night, I tried a recipe for Italian white beans and escarole from the Ina cookbook for our supper. Sadly, the grocery had neither escarole nor kale, which I had suggested to my wife as a suitable alternative, should the grocery not have escarole. So, we ended up with spinach and it was delicious. I served it with good bread and pineapple chunks. When dinner was ready, Jeannene said, "This is dinner? I thought you were making something else." It is suggested as a side in the cookbook, but it made a fine dinner, too, and would be nice for vegetarians---and even vegans.

Cannellini Beans and Spinach
2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
1/4-1/2 c. olive oil
7 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. chicken or veggie broth
A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large bunch spinach, well-washed and trimmed
1 c. shaved parmesan (grated is fine, too, just use the good stuff & not the shaky stuff in the green can) (vegans can use some nutritional yeast to add flavor in place of the cheese)

Heat the oil in a pot. Add garlic & cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add everything but spinach and parmesan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 5 minutes. Mash half the beans. Simmer another 5 minutes. Cut the spinach into 2-3" wide strips. Add to the pot, cover, and cook another 5 minutes, stirring halfway through the time. Remove from heat and add cheese. Adjust seasonings. Serves 2-4 as a main course, 6 as a side. 


No comments: