Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sausage Pie, Green Beans & Potatoes

For lack of a more creative name! My Beloved is putting away dinner leftovers, nibbing here & there, while I type. She looks adorable & keeps telling me how excellent it was. She is also telling me that the very best brand of organic milk is Stonyfield Farm, so I will pass that recommendation on. I made:

Sausage Pie
1 pie shell, partially baked & cooled
1 lb. sausage (I am partial to Bob Evans & will use the hot variety whenever I think I can get away with it)
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 tbsp. butter
3/4 c. milk
3 oz. cream cheese, cut into small chunks
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. shredded cheddar
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sauté sausage & drain. Wipe out pan. In pan, sauté onions in butter until tender. Add milk & heat just until steam rises from it. Remove from heat & add cream cheese. Allow cheese to soften in hot milk. Mix together eggs, milk-cheese mixture, cheddar, seasonings. Pour into pie shell. Top with sausage. Bake 30 minutes, until firmly set. Let stand at leat 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.

Country Green Beans & Potatoes
Sauté some trimmed green beans, with some chopped onions, in a small amount of oil heated in a Dutch oven, for about 5 minutes. Toss in some soy sauce & heat another couple minutes. Add water just to cover. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook on low 20-25 minutes. Throw in an equal amount of halved or quartered new potatoes. Add hot water to cover. Toss in a little more soy. Bring to a boil, cover & simmer on medium-low about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender when pierced by a fork. Drain & serve hot with butter.

The leftovers make a super lunch or even breakfast!

No comments: