Monday, May 21, 2007

Scrambled Eggs and Fry Bread

Saturday night was J's night to choose dinner, but she was too exhausted to make choices, so I made what I'd planned for last night. It was easy and quick and enabled me to watch Volver and still get to bed at a reasonable hour. I made scrambled eggs with a pinch of thyme, a handful of fresh baby spinach and some shredded 2% cheddar. They were delicious. I love to try new things with scrambled eggs. I also made some fry bread. I have been promising to make J fry bread for years, ever since she tried it at the CityFolk Festival in Dayton the first summer we were dating. For some reason, I have continually put it off. It's not at all hard, but I had some kind of block about it. I'm not really a baker, I guess, and although there is no baking to be done, it is bread. We had some plain, some with powdered sugar and some with regular sugar. I didn't think the powdered sugar worked well with the fry bread, but the other sugar was yummy. I like it best plain, though. It was not as good as the stuff my uncle, who'd spent a lot of time on the rez, used to make, but it was good.

Fry Bread
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. Crisco
3/4 c. warm water
Oil for frying

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in 1 tbsp. Crisco. Melt and cool the other 2 tbsp. Crisco. Add just enough water to flour mixture so the dough holds together and is easy to handle. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 30 seconds, ading only enough flour to work the dough. Roll dough into smooth 2" balls. Brush with cooled Crisco and let stand 45 minutes. In a deep skillet, heat oil to 360 degrees. Flatten the balls of dough into 6" circles and slip into the hot oil, cooking in batches. Cook until light brown (45-60 seconds) and then turn, cooking the other side until light brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.

No comments: