Thursday, August 02, 2007

Terrific Beer Cheese Soup

Seems kind of weird to make soup in August, but it sounded good...and man, was it! I love the Cheddar Bay Biscuits at Red Lobster, so I tried to approximate them. These weren't exactly like them, but pretty close. Pretty good, too!

Beer Cheese Soup
1/4 c. onions, finely chopped
1/2 c. celery, finely chopped
1/2 c. carrots, finely chopped
1 stick butter
32 oz. reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used fat-free, like that matters with all that butter!)
1 c. Bisquick
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar (I'd like to try this with Tillamook or Cabot extra-sharp, but I just used Kraft 2%)
12 oz. beer (I used some of J's Bud Select)
1 pint half & half (I used fat-free)
Pinch of oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne
A dash or three of hot sauce

Sauté the vegetables in the butter, in a large stock pot, until translucent (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and add spices and Bisquick, stirring until smooth. Over low heat, slowly add broth, stirring all the time. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and add beer, cheese and half and half, stirring until cheese melts. This is easier if you add the cheese a little at a time.

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
1 & 1/4 c. Bisquick (I used the heart-smart variety & it was just fine)
1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar (I'd be interested to see what Manchego would be like)
1/3 c. water
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Pinch of parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix Bisquick & cheese. Add water and mix ust until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Combine the rest of the ingredients and brush on cooked biscuits. Makes 8. I probably should have made twice as many, judging by how these were received...voraciously! I might use a smidgy bit of cayenne next time.


No comments: