Thursday, August 02, 2007

Old Clothes for Dinner

My beloved likes to tell people that I hooked her with my Cuban cooking. Personally, I think she was hooked well before I ever cooked for her, but that's her story. Last week, I took the time to make Ropa Vieja, the classic Latin shredded beef dish named for its appearance, like old clothes. Of course, we also had black beans and rice and fried plantains (I tried the frozen Goya ones and they are quite tasty...plus, they aren't nearly as much work) as we usually do when I am cooking Cuban. Since I had a gorgeous avocado ripe and ready that day, I also made a Cuban classic, avocado salad.

Ropa Vieja
1 lb. flank steak
2 qts. water, at least
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1 & 1/2 c. sofrito (found jarred in Hispanic section of most groceries...I like Goya brand)
1/2 c. water reserved from cooking steak
1 tbsp. dry white wine
1/4 c. cooked peas
2 oz. pimiento, in strips or chopped
Salt to taste

Boil meat in large pot with about 2 quarts of water, carrot, onion, garlic and green pepper, for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 2 hours, until meat is tender and well-done. Remove meat from pot and allow to cool, reserving 1/2 c. water. Pound the meat, shredding into thread-like strands. Put in pan with sofrito, broth, cooked carrot, wine and peas. Salt and cook about 5 minutes. Add pimiento juice and pieces. Mix well and heat through. Serves 4.

Avocado Salad
Lettuce, as desired (I used butter lettuce)
4 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
1 small onion, sliced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 c. Spanish olive oil
3 tbsp. white vinegar or fresh lemon juice

Line 4 salad plates with lettuce. Arrange avocado and onion slices on top. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Whisk together the oil and vinegar, drizzling over salad. Serves 4-8.

No comments: