Thursday, February 12, 2009

Pasta Night Done Better


Around here, we are almost guaranteed (as I have mentioned before) to have a weekly pasta night and a weekly steak night. These are my darling wife's two favorite foods, meals she never tires of making or eating. I, on the other hand, often perform a silent eye roll behind her back at the thought of yet another pasta or steak meal. She knows this. She cooks it anyway. And I want her to keep doing it for two reasons. The first is that when it is her night to choose and cook dinner, it is her night. Not my night to dictate what she cooks or guilt her into choosing something more to my taste. My taste is for my night. The second is that sometimes, she comes up with something different and astoundingly good in the pasta or steak genre. Last night was a good example. She'd been assured by at least two people at work that the premium alfredo sauce they make blends beautifully with the pesto sauce they make, into a gorgeously rich pesto cream sauce. They were right, by my account. She tried it out and put it over plates of bucatini. I was truly wowed. I made a salad of crisp romaine accentuated by garlic croutons, parmesan cheese and good quality bottled Caesar and J laid out some olive oil bread with a dish of butter to go alongside. The funny thing here is that J didn't like the meal. At all. While I sat oohing and aahing and slurping up my portion, she was disappointed. Sigh. She did, however, like dessert, squares of an Equal Exchange (organic & fairly traded) Orange Dark Chocolate bar.

No comments: