Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Got My Mojo Workin'

I had thawed out a flank steak for our Monday dinner, planning to do it up Asian-style, when J came down with one of the worst migraines she'd had in a long time. I realized that soy sauce would probably not be her friend, not would a red wine marinade for which I found a recipe. So, I checked the bottle of Goya mojo criollo I keep on hand for MSG. Finding none, I marinated the flank steak in that for several hours. I then drained it, blotted it dry and pan-fried it. Along with the Cuban-style flank steak, I made some Italian-cut green beans and some yuca from the freezer. I boiled the yuca in salted water to cover for about half an hour, then drained it & removed the tough fibrous "vein." Finally, I sauteed it in a little olive oil. Once it had browned nicely, I stirred in a generous splash of mojo and stirred it around for about 5 more minutes. The yuca was easily our favorite part of dinner.

No comments: