Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quiche for the Queens

Our first Wild Mango Queens gathering was Saturday, a getting-to-know-you potluck. It turned out to be an absolutely smashing time! I made a couple of quiches, one asparagus and one ham & scallion. We set out some olives and roasted garlic, hummus, sun-dried tomato feta spread, pita triangles, Boursin cheese, sun-dried tomato focaccia, almonds (cocoa ones & regular roasted ones), a darling little angel food cake, sugared raspberries, mango chunks and a bunch of things to go with the chocolate fondue (which can be ordered at http://www.ethelschocolate.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1253&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=fondue) I made-shortbread cookies, pretzel rods, bananas, apple slices. I made my favorite punch and also had some orange-mango juice, mango nectar and a bottle of Riesling available. Jill, Marcy & Kelly were the charter members. I'd issued invites with rather short notice, so we were a small but mighty group. Kelly brought guacamole salsa, spinach & artichoke dip, blue corn chips and chocolate-dipped strawberries. Jill & Marcy brought a nice wedge of brie, which they baked & then topped with berries, raisins & mangoes. Yum!

My almost-grandma's quiche recipe:
"Use a Pillsbury pie crust & 9" pie pan. (this is basic---add whatever appeals. I have used spinach---10 oz. package defrosted and squeezed dry--plus sweet onion sliced 3. sliced mushrooms & onion 4. crab meat 5. shrimp 6. bacon cut in 1/4" pieces & cooked 7. a broccoli, carrot, cauliflower mix)

2 eggs plus 2 yolks
1 1/2 cups half & half (I use skinny milk) [and I, Daria, used a combo of 2% milk & half & half this time]
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. grated Swiss cheese or Swiss and fresh ground Parmesan [I, Daria, used Cheddar this time]
2 tbsp. butter, cut in tiny pieces

Pre-bake pie crust. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. With wire whisk or beater, beat eggs, extra yolks, cream & seasonings together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in grated cheese--Put pastry shell on a baking sheet--Scatter bacon, veggies, whatever over bottom of pie shell and gently ladle the egg-cheese custard into it. Sprinkle the top with dots of butter. Bake for at least 25 minutes, or until the custard has puffed and browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Spinach and mushrooms take longer because of internal fluid."

The punch I made, which is my favorite punch ever, is the punch they always used to serve at coffee hour when I was growing up. I was horribly disappointed when they went to Kool-Aid. I call it Westminster Punch, after that church. Mix a can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate, a can of frozen limeade concentrate, a container of frozen strawberries and a big can of pineapple juice together in a punch bowl. Just before you want to serve it, add a 2-liter bottle of ginger ale.

No comments: