Friday, May 22, 2009

Quickie Sandwiches & Spaghetti From Scratch

Okay, so the pasta itself was not from scratch, but I did make the sauce & meatballs from scratch for our dinner last night. We skipped the salad, but did have some garlic bread to go with it. The meatballs & sauce are Nigella's, although I made some modifications. Her recipe is here:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/9122971
I skipped the directions to blitz the onions etc to a pulp, just throwing them in the pot chopped. I omitted the sugar and used 28 oz. of tomato puree and 15 oz. diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning in place of the 24 oz. canned tomatoes in puree. It turned out wonderfully!

Wednesday night, we had an evening appointment, so I needed something quick but sumptuous for supper. I ended up mixing some softened butter with a minced clove of garlic, spreading it on 4 slices of sourdough, slathering on some mayonnaise, layering 2 slices with diced ham, brie and steamed asparagus and broiling it until the cheese melted. Those were topped with the other two slices of bread for a great sandwich, accompanied by kettle chips, romaine salads and fresh fruit. Yum!

No comments: