Sunday, October 04, 2009

Going Old-School with Caraway & Kraut

It was with great fear and trepidation that I decided to make German meatloaf for dinner. I knew the Amish-style fried noodles would be a hit, but I was fairly certain both wife and child would balk at meatloaf with sauerkraut, caraway and rye crumbs. Amazingly, the boy ate it and the wife actually really liked it, liked it enough to pack herself some for tomorrow's lunch. The boy is asking for more noodles as I type. With these German-y dishes, I served the Trader Joe's blend of edamame, corn and red pepper they refer to as "soycotash." Good stuff!

German Meatloaf
2 c. fresh rye crumbs
1 14 oz. can sauerkraut, drained well
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. caraway seeds
A good grinding of pepper
Salt to taste
2 tbsp. ketchup (I served this with ketchup on the table, too, but it didn't need it)
2 lb. burger
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything but meat together. Add the meat and mix gently with your hands. Pat into a foil-lined loaf pan. Bake 1 hour & 15 minutes. I like to put a pizza pan underneath just in case. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Fried Noodles
3 1/2 c. fine egg noodles
3 tbsp. ch. onion
2 tbsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. hot sauce (I just eyeballed it & probably used closer to half a tsp.---I like Lousiana hot sauce, but use whatever you like)
1/2 stick butter
Cook & drain noodles. Add all but butter. Melt butter in skillet. Add noodles to skillet & pat into an even layer. Cook on medium 15-20 minutes, until golden. It may take longer than this...it did for me, but I started my noodles on low.

No comments: