Monday, May 24, 2010

Margaritas for Two

Okay, so it was actually chicken margarita, but it was good. The recipe originally came from my friend Kira & it's really easy to put together. I served this adaptation with parmesan rice and romaine-based salad. I've been making parmesan rice since I was a teenager & eating it most of my life. My mom got the recipe from "Diet for a Small Planet." I learned to make it from her and it was a major staple of regular dinners I made with my dear friend Lesley. We used to make ourselves parmesan rice and eat artichoke hearts with it.

Chicken Margarita
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. salt
A good grinding of pepper
1 tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. flour (cornstarch if you've got it...my aunt had none)
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/8 c. orange juice
1/4 c. lime juice
1 tbsp. tequila
Mix cumin, salt & pepper. Rub onto chicken. Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat. Cook chicken 4-5 min/side, until cooked through. Set aside. Mix 1 tbsp. lime juice with flour/starch and sugar. Carefully add broth, orange juice & 1/4 c. lime juice to hot skillet. Add lime mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened & bubbly. Cook a minute or two ore. Add tequila & mix in. Return chicken to pan & heat through, spooning sauce over top. Serves 2.
Parmesan Rice
2/3 c. rice
1-2 tbsp. butter (I usually leave this out, actually)
1 egg, beaten
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4-1/2 c. shredded parmesan
Cook the rice as usual. Stir in the rest and cook on medium heat 5 minutes or so. Serves 2.

1 comment:

otehlia cassidy said...

That sounds good! With margaritas, perhaps? Do you want more info on the culinary tour to Isla Mujeres? Tamarind margaritas await:) Let me know, and thanks for stopping by my blog.