Friday, January 25, 2013

Spiced Beef Stew with Carrots & Mint

A couple weekends ago, Jeannene & I were slated to be at a retreat. When it was postponed, we were unexpectedly home for lunch, so I cooked up this Bon Appetit stew for our lunch. When I make it again, I think I'll serve it over couscous with some fattoush as a starter. It is a terrific midwinter treat! Here's my version:

2 tbsp. olive oil
12 oz. sirloin steak, cut in 1" cubes
1 onion, sliced
8 oz. baby carrots
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1 tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. beef broth
1/3 c. chopped mint

Season the beef and sauté in 1 tbsp. oil for about 3 minutes. Place in bowl. Add 1 tbsp. oil to skillet and sauté onions & carrots until they are golden, 3-5 minutes. Add spices & cook, stirring, half a minute. Add flour and cook another half minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to medium and simmer 10 minutes. Add beef and cook until sauce thickens slightly. Adjust seasonings. Stir in 1/4 c. mint. Serve garnished with additional mint. Serves 2.

No comments: