Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Twist on Salad & Sandwich Suppers



I am a big fan of really simple dinners when I am the only one home. Sometimes, I try them on Jeannene, too. She loved this combo. The salad came to me from a Red Hat cookbook, although I switched the dressing and tinkered with proportions, and the sandwich is courtesy of Rachael Ray. If you like the ubiquitous spinach artichoke dip, you’ll love this sandwich.

Asparagus & Raspberry Salad
1 bunch asparagus, lightly steamed but still plenty crunchy
1 pint raspberries
Fruity vinaigrette (the original recipe called for raspberry, but I had Maple Grove Farms Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette on hand and I love it, so that’s what I used.)

Once asparagus has cooled, arrange on plates and scatter berries over the top. Drizzle with dressing and serve. Serves 2-4.

Spinach & Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Butter 4 slices of your favorite bread on one side of each slice. Fill the sandwiches with deli turkey, sliced gruyère cheese, baby spinach leaves, and chopped, marinated artichoke hearts (well-drained, of course). Cook as with a regular grilled cheese sandwich. Serves 2.

No comments: