Monday, August 19, 2013

Tomato Bounty

Today, our church office administrator stuck her head in my office to ask if I had quit blogging. My immediate response was a rather surprised no, but when she mentioned that she couldn't seem to access anything later than March, I realized that I kind of have quit blogging. I've been cooking, certainly, and have even been putting colorful little flags in all my cookbooks. The flags all say, "Blog!" and every time I place one, I think, "I really have got to sit down and catch up." It will happen. One of these days, you'll be sticking your head in to check for new recipes and there they will be! For now, a quick, delicious Italian dinner for the cooler August weather we've been having. 

Yesterday was Jeannene's half-birthday. I love half-birthdays and always make sure to celebrate mine at least in some small way---a cupcake, a pedicure, looking at some favorite art or poetry. Jeannene hates them. Well, at least her own. But, she was happy last night to get to copse her own dinner. When she said she wanted to make chicken Alfredo (one of her favorites and always a hit with Boot, who is visiting), I excitedly insisted on finding the Alfredo recipe I tried and loved once when she was away. The Sandra Lee haters among you need to put aside your prejudice and give this a try. It's my favorite Alfredo sauce, hands-down, and it's her recipe. I have doubled it here, to serve 4 people, and have slightly adapted it.

16 oz. fettuccine, cooked and drained
1 & 1/2 c. butter, cut into small pieces
2 c. whole milk
2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (good quality, please, for the best results)
Salt, to taste

After draining, return noodles from pot and turn heat on low. Add butter and milk to noodles and toss until butter is melted. Add cheese, a little at a time, an stir just until melted with each addition. Adjust seasonings and serve hot.

I made a romaine salad and tomato bread inspired by the current issue of Martha Stewart Living to go with it. I sliced a loaf of cheese bread lengthwise, rubbed it with garlic, drizzled it with olive oil, and broiled it crisp and brown around the edges. I then topped it with yellowy-orange and red tomato slices and sprinkled it with Maldon sea salt. Deliciousness!




No comments: