Monday, March 10, 2014

Creamy Shrimp & Fettucine

My wife has become incredibly leery of shrimp after being served undercooked shrimp in two different restaurants in the span of a week about year ago, so I was unsure whether I should make this. However, it sounded so yummy that I decided to throw caution to the wind, put it on the menu, and make damn sure the shrimp was cooked properly. It is, I admit, a thing which requires attention. Too little cooking time and you revolt your diners. Too much and you might as well serve a little log of Silly Putty. But it's really not that difficult. This turned out wonderfully and I served it with a salad of mixed greens (which I topped with pine nuts and a tarragon vinaigrette), a loaf of our favorite Pugliese bread from the grocery, and fruit salad left over from our book group gathering on Saturday. 

Creamy Shrimp & Fettuccine
10 oz. uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined (frozen is fine, just thaw prior)
8 oz. fettuccine, cooked & hot
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
1 small bell pepper, in thin half-strips (I like red & orange)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat-free)
A splash of milk (skim is fine)
A splash of sherry
1/2 c. frozen peas (no need to thaw)
3 heaping tbsp. grated parmesan
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp & peppers. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 3-5 minutes. Toss with drained pasta and serve piping hot! Serves 4. 




No comments: