Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Light Salad Supper

Ah, the delight of being back in the kitchen after a long while away! I've been quite the road tripper this summer, starting June 25th with a trip to Pittsburgh for my BFF's birthday. The day after I got back, I drove to my auntie's house in SW Ohio to hit the road the 29th for Disney with her and my cousin's oldest boy. We stopped in Charleston, SC, on the way down (oh, did I wish I had time for a week at the beach, too!) to drop off the next-oldest with his Papou & YiaYia for the week. On the way home, we got to celebrate my cousin Jessie's 25th birthday with her outside of Atlanta. Once home, I had a day & 2 nights to regroup before hitting the road again, this time for work. I overnighted with my friends, Claire & Susan, & their wee ones in Chicago on my way to Wisconsin for a youth event at which I was leading small groups and presenting workshops on Playful Sabbath. Whew! It makes me tired just to write it all out like that!

I really adore traveling, but I miss cooking when I'm gone, almost as much as I miss my wife. I am one of those people who just truly loves puttering around in the kitchen. Combined with all the easy, fast food I ate on my trip, it was the perfect moment for creating a big ol' chicken Caesar salad for my first post-trip supper. With a loaf of Italian bread and a mini-colander of Rainier cherries, it was just exactly right. I hope it might be for you, as well. 

Chicken Caesar Salad
3 tbsp. buttermilk (lowfat, for me)                          1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (I used the canola sort)           1/4 tsp. each salt & pepper
Juice of half a small lemon                                     2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan 
1 tbsp. good quality olive oil                                  Hearts of romaine, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp. Dijon mustard                                               Garlic croutons (fat-free, if you like)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce                                    Rotisserie chicken, in bite-sized pieces
1/2 tsp. anchovy paste                                            Shaved parmesan

Purée everything but the romaine, croutons, chicken, and shaved parmesan until smooth. Divide lettuce among plates. Top with croutons, chicken, and a drizzle of dressing. Finish with shaved parmesan. The dressing is about enough for 2 or 3 dinner-sized salads.     


No comments: