Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Carnitas

Despite my bleoved having made tacos Saturday night, I went ahead and made carnitas last night as planned. Am I glad I did! The kids enjoyed them, J enjoyed them and so did I. I served them with warmed flour tortillas, Spanish rice and an iceberg salad with salsa dressing. Salsa & sour cream on the side are a nice touch, too. I have heard from a couple of people about how much of a pain in the butt it is to make carnitas, but I found it to be a breeze.

Carnitas
3 lb. pork, cubed (I used boneless country ribs)
2 large onions, halved
4 cloves garlic
Salt
2 tbsp. lard
1 1/2 c. milk

Cover pork with water in pan. Add onions, garlic and salt. Bring to boil and then simmer for 1 hour. Drain. Heat lard, milk and salt together. Add pork and cook, stirring often, until milk cooks away completely.

No comments: