Monday, September 25, 2006

Wednesday Night Cooking

Since my grands are kind enough to let me stay with them while I am in school, cooking for them on Wednesday nights seems the least I can do. The first week I was down there, I made potato cheese soup, as detailed in an earlier post. The second week, I made Cowboy Pie, which was very good & homey, with corn on the cob & salad.
Cowboy Pie
1 lb. lean burger
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
15 oz. can kidney beans (or whatever kind of beans you favor), drained
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1 tsp. parsley
3-5 tbsp. shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or spray a pie plate or 8x8 baking dish. Sauté burger, onion & pepper until burger is browned. Add beans, tomato sauce & chili powder. Bring to a boil. Put in pie plate. Quarter biscuits & place on top of meat mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Top with cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

This past Wednesday, we made chicken pot pie. My grandmom had already boiled some chicken thighs, then boiled some veggies in the broth from that. She pulled the meat off the bones & drained the veggies, saving the broth to make gravy. By the time I got back from class, all that was left to do was to mix the meat & veggies up with a can of mushroom soup & a can of cream of chicken, then toss it in a premade pie shell. I topped it, vented the top and baked it at 350 degrees for a little over an hour while we hung out talking.

No comments: