Monday, March 09, 2009

Let Them Eat Panini

When I got home from teaching confirmation class last night, I was happy I'd planned a fairly simple dinner. It turned out to be delicious, as well. I made chicken, bacon and blue cheese panini using leftover chicken breast from a dinner earlier in the week. I served it with chips and salad, then we had pineapple angel food cake for dessert. The cake is my adaptation of a WW recipe, while the panini recipe was originally, I think, Rachael Ray's.

Chicken, Bacon & Blue Cheese Panini
Tear up some cooked chicken breast and put it on a bun. Top with cooked bacon. Mix some blue cheese with a little ranch dressing and smear on the top bun. Put the sandwiches together and cook in a preheated panini press or (as I did) pressed between two preheated cast iron skillets, pressing down as you cook, for four or five minutes per side. Cut in half before serving.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Since the recipe didn't work so hot as I had it, here is what I think would work better, with the caveat that I haven't yet tried it. The original recipe didn't get the cake cooked all the way through.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare an angel food cake mix according to the directions on the package, omitting 6 tablespoons of the water and subbing pineapple juice, instead, from an 8 oz. can of pineapple. If the pineapple is crushed, simply press out the excess juice and fold it into the cake mix. If it's diced, cut it into small chunks before adding. Also fold in a few tablespoons of shredded coconut (I would probably omit it next time, though, as I am not a huge fan of coconut). Place in a loaf pan and bake according to package directions. Cool on one side on a rack for an hour. Remove from pan. Mix 3/4 c. raspberry jam with a couple teaspoons of Grand Marnier or Chambord. Microwave 40 seconds, stir smooth and serve with cake.

No comments: