Friday, March 13, 2009

Mid-day Pancake Play

When I take Sabbath time, I like to make myself something special for breakfast or lunch. Yesterday, I decided to try my hand at Norwegian pancakes, which I'd never even eaten, much less made. The recipe looked kind off crazy to me, way too much liquid to dry ingredients. Then, my friend Jess explained that Norwegian pancakes make crepes look thick and advised me to make sure to do them on a griddle because they're really difficult to flip. I'm glad for her input because she was exactly right! I think if I were more of a pancake person, I would really have loved these. The first one was a dismal failure & went right in the trash, but after that, I got the hang of them and they turned out nicely.

Pannekaker
2 eggs
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. boiling water
1/2 c. sour cream or buttermilk (I used sweet milk soured with vinegar)
1 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. melted butter
2 c. milk
Beat eggs. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon & vanilla. Dissolve soda in water. Add to eggs. Gradually add flour & baking soda. Gradually add melted butter and milk, mixing well to ensure smoothness. Bake on heavy griddle or electric skillet, lightly greased, preheated to 400 degrees. Use about 1/4 c. batter per pancake and tip pan so that bottom is completely covered with batter. Brown on both sides, making sure not to attempt flipping too soon. Sprinkle with sugar and roll up, keeping warm until all are cooked. Serve with butter or the topping of your choice. I suspect lingonberries would be my favorite.

No comments: