Saturday, May 26, 2012

Simple Suppers for the Start of Summer

Last night & tonight, the dinners I made were quick & easy, just the sort of thing for our ridiculously hectic life. It was breakfast for dinner last night, with breakfast tarts, hash browns (pre-made from the refrigerator case at the grocery), cantaloupe, and strawberries.

Breakfast Tarts:
1 can (7.5 oz.) whomp biscuits
Finely diced cooked ham, 3-4 oz.
Shredded cheese (your favorite...I used a blend of 3 Cheddars)
4 eggs
A splash of milk
A healthy pinch of lemon pepper
A healthy pinch of parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 10 wells of a muffin tin. Press a biscuit in each, pushing up the sides to make a little cup. It won't cover the whole inside of the cup. Fill with ham & cheese. Mix rest & pour over ham & cheese. Place on baking sheet & bake 10-15 min. Let cool a few minutes before releasing from cups & serving. You could get really creative with these! Feta & olives, Brie & prosciutto...

Tonight's supper was Cobb sandwiches, Amy Sedaris' farmer's salad (or, my version, without her recommended sliced, cold baked potatoes because I forgot to bake them last night), & strawberries with Cindy's Kitchen fruit dip.

For the salad, I threw some spring mix in a bowl with sliced cucumbers, diced red onion, avocado chunks, roasted & salted sunflower seeds, golden raisins, really good olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, & pepper. Then, I tossed it well. Amy Sedaris recommends dandelion greens, but I didn't find any. It was superb anyway. I chopped some tomatoes for Jeannene's portion.

The Cobb sandwich idea came from Rachael Ray & it was crazy good. I cooked some bacon & toasted a couple English muffins. I mixed some blue cheese chunks with ranch dressing & sliced scallions. I tossed avocado slices with a little key lime juice. I put everything on the muffins, along with deli turkey, lettuce, and sliced tomato. Easy as can be!


No comments: