Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cowboy Steaks

Tonight, Jeannene had thawed some strip steaks, but was felled by a migraine & not up to grilling. Since I am a bit grill-phobic, I made cowboy steaks instead. Pat a couple of steaks that are just over an inch thick dry. I think ribeyes are perfect, but these strips came out nicely, too. Cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet evenly with 1/2 c. coarse kosher salt. Heat on high for about 5 minutes---salt will begin to crackle & lightly smoke. Lay the steaks on the salt & cook 5 minutes. Flip & cook 4 minutes. Let rest on cutting board 5 minutes before peeling salt crust from steaks. Warning---if you use fine salt, it will be much harder to peel off the crust. I only had fine in-house this time & it was much harder. Previously, it has just kind of fallen off the steak as I lifted it from the pan. I had to work at it tonight. But this cooking method keeps the steak very juicy!

No comments: