Thursday, August 04, 2016

What I'm Cooking, August 2016

Boy, I tell you what: moving is crazy! My talented, smart wife was just given a promotion that takes us from Hoth (AKA Michigan) to Colorado. We're not moving the right direction for me (Southeast), but I think we're going to love living in the Boulder/Denver metro area! So, yay! We even made our cross-country drive with baby, cats, & tempers intact.

However, life is still a little off-kilter, as we're staying in temporary housing designed for people who are more likely to head out to a restaurant or order in while staying here than to cook a big meal. So, I am challenged with figuring out which meals I can make without buying a bunch of duplicate seasonings and kitchen ware. 

It's been an interesting exercise in becoming aware of just how much I take for granted. I have a very well-equipped kitchen and a wide variety of ingredients at my disposal at any given moment. People are always complimenting me on what a great cook I am. Really, it's due, in large part, to what I have available to me. It makes me think about what it must be like for homeless people or people with only one cooking pot and a fire to figure out how to create meals. So, really, this is a classic case of #firstworldproblems. 

Problem solved, here is what I've come up with:
-Hot dogs, baked beans, fresh veggies
-Scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit
-Pasta with Bolognese sauce, Caesar salad, good bread
-Chicken Cordon Bleu, rice pilaf, green beans
-Scallion & cheese frittata, sesame kale, fruit
-Fried egg BLTs, fried potatoes, salad
-Egg noodles with sausage, black-eyed pea salad, fruit
-Russian sandwiches, sweet corn, watermelon
-Steak with hot sauce butter, baked potatoes, avocado caprese salad
-Taco casserole, corn, salad, chips & guacamole
-Turkish pizza, salad, fruit with dip
-Pork chops with tomato gravy, mashed potatoes, lima beans
-Kidney beans with cotija, Mexican corn cakes, salad
-Asparagus Parmesan tart, rosemary potatoes, salad
-Savannah red rice, green beans, salad

No comments: