Thursday, December 14, 2017

Orecchiette with Garden Sauce, December 11, 2017

I very seldom make pasta sauce from scratch. I almost always get a jar of Newman's sauce of some sort or another, brown some ground beef, and add some parmesan and extra seasonings while warming the sauce. I really like my pasta that way. However, I was inspired by an Ina Garten recipe from her Cooking for Jeffrey, orecchiette with farm stand pasta sauce. I am a much lazier cook than Ina, however, and she would probably be appalled to see what I did with her creation. Ah, well. Sorry, Ina! I served it with a complete bastardization of her kale salad, as well as some crusty Pugliese bread from the local grocery. It was tasty and made a ton. Luckily, Boot really loved it and made it vanish in just a couple days. I'd been looking at it, as I put away the leftovers, and wondering how on earth we were ever going to eat it all. By all means, try her recipe, but this is quite serviceable.

Orecchiette with Garden Sauce
Good olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 small carrots, peeled & finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced (or a couple tbsp of the pre-chopped stuff my wife likes to keep on hand)
28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes
14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 c. dry red wine (I used Pinot Noir)
6 oz. tomato paste
A handful fresh basil, cut in chiffonade
A handful Italian parsley, minced
1 tbsp. sugar (normally, I would be resistant, but I've been reading about how it helps tame the acidity of the tomatoes)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper
24 oz. orecchiette
Good quality parmesan, shredded

In large, heavy pot, heat some olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, celery, & carrots, cooking until they are tender, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, basil, parsley, sugar, red pepper, a pinch of salt, and a good grinding of black pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer about an hour. Cook the pasta, drain, and add to sauce, stirring to mix completely. Heat through. Serve with cheese. Serves 8-10. 

Kale Salad with Pancetta
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1 large clove garlic
1 tbsp. Dijon
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt & pepper
2/3 c. olive oil
1 bunch Lacinato kale, stems removed
2 oz. pancetta, diced
A handful of garlic croutons
A handful of shaved parmesan

Whiz everything up to the kale in a food processor until it emulsifies. Stack the kale leaves and slice them into thin ribbons. Toss with just enough dressing to coat the kale. Cook the pancetta in a little hot olive oil until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels. Add croutons to the pan and toast. Toss pancetta, croutons, and shaved parmesan with the kale. Serves 2-4. 












No comments: