Monday, December 04, 2017

Gunther Toody's, December 1, 2017

In our family, when a birthday comes along, the person we're celebrating gets to choose whatever they want for dinner, whether at home or out. It's been interesting to see how the desires for birthday dinner have evolved over the years. Pie wins for both the most expensive (elaborate sushi meals out, lobster/crab/steak meals at home) and cheapest (gas station food, at least 3 years). My wife wins for most consistent (very, very often, steak or pasta, although she asks for the occasional dinner out or beef bouguignon at home). I nearly always want to go out, usually to a farm-to-table sort of place or, if that's not an option, The Melting Pot.

Boot has usually requested either wings or my chicken pot pie. His evolution into a more worldly eater was apparent this year, when he wanted to go out for bulgogi. However, by the time of his dinner, he had decided he wasn't in the mood for a 45-minute drive to his chosen restaurant. So, he asked us to suggest some local spots. Thinking he'd like the 1950s design ethic and the simple food, I suggested Gunther Toody's diner as an alternative the very crowded chains. He ended up really liking it, as did the rest of us.

He had a Hang Ten burger, starring pineapple, teriyaki, & grilled onions. My aversion to mixing sweet & meat made that repulsive to me, but he declared it great. He was also happy to have gravy on his fries. I really enjoyed my pork tenderloin sandwich and mashed potatoes. It's not easy to find a really good pork tenderloin sandwich, but this fits the bill. I also indulged in a chocolate malted, as this is one of the few places I've found where a malted actually tastes of malt. My wife & Boot's girlfriend both chose spicy burgers, my wife enjoying the green chile burger & his girlfriend opting for the chipotle version. Wee Boy dug into his macaroni & cheese with glee.

I was frankly, surprised he had room for anything, given the tremendous amount of sweet potato fries he gobbled before the main course arrived! They were just about a perfect rendition of the dish, with chipotle ranch for dipping. We also shared a plate of their delightful chicken tenders, which are so delicate and tender as to be nearly ethereal. Of all their terrific menu items, these are my favorite.


No comments: