Thursday, June 17, 2010

Comfort Food, Summer-Style

The other night, we were talking about food we could serve at our church bazzar & sloppy joes came up. I've been really hungry for them & my auntie loves them, so I decided to try a variation on my standard Manwich on a bun. She asked if we could have tater tots with them, which is, in my opinion, the ideal starch to go with sloppy joes. As I headed to the grocery, she asked if we were having corn with them. But of course! Add a glass of limeade, some watermelon & ice cream sandwiches for dessert & you have a perfect dinner to eat while sitting on the deck watching fireflies on a June evening.

Sloppy Joe Bake
1 lb. burger (I used 94% lean), browned & drained
8 oz. tomato sauce
3/4 c. water
1 envelope sloppy joe seasoning
1 tsp. minced onion flakes
2 (8 oz.) tubes crescent rolls (I used the reduced-fat kind)
1 c. shredded sharp Cheddar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the burger with the tomato sauce, water, seasoning & onion. Bring to a boil. Simmer about 7 minutes. Roll 1 tube of crescents out flat in a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking pan. Add the burger, then evenly sprinkle the cheese on top. Roll out the other package of crescents on top to cover. (You can brush this layer with an egg wash or milk to make it look prettier) Bake 15 minutes. Serves 6.

No comments: