Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Satisfying My Aunt's Greek Tooth

Last night, I wasn't sure how I felt about what I had planned for dinner and I was pretty sure it would be too out there for my auntie. However, she loved my Moroccish burgers & feta potato salad! I thought they turned out great, too! I based the burgers on a Rachael Ray recipe available here: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipes/rachael-ray-30-minute-meals/Casablanca-Burgers

Here's what I did:
1 & 1/2 lb. burger (85% lean)
1 tbsp. chili powder
4 finely-chopped cloves garlic
A couple tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin
A little sprinkling of cinnamon
Salt & pepper
A drizzle of olive oil
1 c. Greek yogurt
1/3 c. finely-chopped mint
2 sliced scallions
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
10 oz. broccoli slaw mix
4 sandwich thins (Arnold's brand)

Mix burger with next 8 ingredients. Form into 4 patties. Grease skillet with cooking spray and heat. Add burgers and drizzle with olive oil. Cook through. (You can do these on the grill, too, but it was raining & I'm afraid of the grill...if J & I were living together at the moment, I could make her do it) Mix yogurt with mint, scallions & a little salt. Whisk oil & vinegar together & toss with slaw mix. Put a pile on one half of the bun, add a burger & top with yogurt sauce. Finish with the other half of the bun. Serve extra slaw on the side.

Feta Potato Salad
3 lb. potatoes, diced
2/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. lemon juice (juice 2 lemons & use the rest in the burgers)
1 tsp. Dijon
1 tsp. salt
A good grinding of pepper
1 bunch scallions, sliced (I removed 2 for the burger sauce)
6 oz. crumbled red pepper & herb feta
Boil potatoes tender & drain well. Whisk oil with lemon juice, Dijon, salt & pepper. Add rest of ingredients & toss to coat. Cover & chill a couple hours (I did mine before starting the burgers & just let it chill while I finished the rest of dinner & it was fine). Serves 6.

No comments: