Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Jan's Showstopper Calico Beans

When my friend Jan told me about her calico beans, I said, "What on earth are calico beans???" She gave me this recipe, noting that "These have been a showstopper at more than one barbecue that I've gone to." Our family loves them & tonight, I took them to a church picnic. Very little remained at the end.

Jan's Showstopper Calico Beans
1 lb. burger
1/2 lb. bacon (I used 12 oz. tonight because that's what I had & I figured I might as well)
1 can baby limas, drained
1 can dark kidney beans, drained
1 can Bush's baked beans (I use original)
1 can Great Northern beans, drained
1/2 c. dark brown sugar, well-packed
1 sm. onion, thinly-sliced
1 bottle bbq sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 tsp. dry mustard
Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Brown burger and bacon. Add to beans. Add the rest & mix well. Bake 3-4 hours in a 13 x 9 baking dish.

No comments: