Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Bagger Dave's, May 23, 2015

When it's Jeannene's choice night, we often dine out. This is even more likely to be the case if we're already out and about. I was on a wild goose chase quest for a particular book and was trying to chase it down at a Barnes & Noble we'd never been to before. Our local store said they thought this location had a copy, but warned me to call beforehand. Well, I didn't and they didn't have it, so I was out of luck there.

Jeannene had not eaten breakfast and was getting pretty peckish. It was a bit late for lunch and a bit early for dinner, but we decided to find someplace close by, have a bite to eat, and then go see "Avengers: Age of Ultron" at the nearest movie theater. When Jeannene saw Bagger Dave's Burger Tavern, she decided that would be fun to try. I'd heard good things about it and was definitely game, although I did not want a burger.

We started with a shared plate of nachos. We couldn't decide between the BBQ or the grilled chicken to top them, so we asked our waitress to surprise us. She picked the BBQ, a sloppy joe-ish ground turkey concoction that was completely delicious and decided me on my main course. The chips were perfectly crunchy and the toppings were generous, but not so overloaded as to make the chips superfluous. It also wasn't a gigantic portion, so we actually had room for sandwiches.

Jeannene built her own burger with I don't know what all on it. It was incredibly sloppy, included avocados, and made her very happy. I had the Sloppy Dave's BBQ sandwich, basically a turkey sloppy joe on a toasted hoagie bun. I adore sloppy joes. Jeannene thinks it's both cute and weird, as she cannot abide them. This was a great version. I had them omit the Santa Fe chipotle sauce, as it was a smidge hot for me on the nachos, and subbed cheddar for the gouda. The hand-cut fries were great, too, reminding me of the ones I used to get at Rivertown Potato Works as a a kid going to King's Island Amusement Park. They came with sauce, whatever kind you wanted, but I was really happy with just the malt vinegar they supplied on the table.

The service was competent and the atmosphere fine, just the usual screens, bar, and high-top tables. Luckily, we were seated at the only low-top in our section, which made my short legs happy. There was a train running around the top of the room, which was fun.

No comments: