Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Empanadas, May 18, 2015

We picked up 4 empanadas at the Casavana Cafe in the Ft. Lauderdale airport just before we flew home Sunday. They reheated beautifully for our supper last night. We decided to try 1 of each kind they had, so we had a chicken empanada, a ham and cheese one, a spinach one, and a picadillo one. My favorites were the chicken and the picadillo. Jeannene liked the spinach a lot, so I traded her my spinach half for her picadillo half, which I loved. I always keep a can of Goya Cuban-style black bean soup on hand, so we had that over jasmine rice for a side. I also discovered a new bagged salad that we both thought was terrific: Taylor Farms Garden Vegetable chopped salad. It's basically a broccoli slaw with dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and bacon.

If you want empanadas, but don't have a good Cuban cafe or bakery nearby, you might try this recipe from the Three Guys From Miami. I've not made it, but they usually have good, reliable recipes. They give basic dough instructions and a bunch of different fillings! I am going to try the guava & cheese ones before long!

No comments: