Friday, October 23, 2015

Tequila Lime Chicken, October 22, 2015

After a string of dinner failures, starting with last week's chicken tetrazzini and continuing through gloopy pumpkin pecan bread pudding and sausage & bean soup that tasted like hot dog water, I relegated myself to supplementing Jeannene's dinners until Wednesday. Wednesday, I meant to make last night's dinner, until I realized that I had forgotten that the chicken needed to marinate---so, I made scrambled eggs & toast, instead. Last night, I was relieved that dinner turned out yummy, with an especially delicious side of garlic spinach. The rest of the dinner was tequila lime chicken and rice pilaf (from a box---Near East is my favorite brand). It was pretty healthy, too!

Tequila Lime Chicken
Juice of 4 limes
Juice of 1 orange
1/2 c. tequila
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
A pinch of salt
A good grinding of pepper
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Mix everything but chicken. Add chicken and marinate overnight. Broil until cooked through, about 9 minutes per side. Serves 3. 

Garlic Spinach
A drizzle of olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of a pot)
A package of baby spinach
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
A squeeze of lemon juice
A little butter (optional)

Heat the oil and sauté the garlic in it for about 30 seconds. Make sure it doesn't burn! Add the spinach, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Stir to wilt the spinach. Stir in a little butter at the end, if desired. It's quite good even without, though. Serves 2. 


No comments: