Thursday, October 05, 2017

Butternut Squash Soup, October 4, 2017

Oh, the best intentions don't necessarily lead to great results. My wife travels so much for work that I like to have something homey & cozy for her to eat when she gets home. The peanut butter cookies I greeted her with at the airport turned out great. Sadly, the squash soup I had waiting at home was quite disappointingly bland. At least I had veggie pizza left over from the night before, so she did have something good to eat. I think if I were going to make this again, I would use broth instead of water and use more seasonings, maybe a little thyme or something. The recipe is probably salvageable, so I'm posting what I did here and you can embellish at will.

Butternut Squash Soup
1 onion, chopped roughly
1 stalk celery, chopped roughly
2 carrots, chopped roughly
3 cloves garlic, peeled only
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 1/2 c. water (I would use chicken or veggie broth)
1 lb. butternut squash cubes
1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & cubed
(I would add some herbs like thyme)

Heat olive oil in a soup pot. Add the onion, celery, carrots, & garlic. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, & water/broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until everything is very tender, about half an hour. Purée with an immersion blender (or, very carefully and in batches, in a regular blender). Serves 4.


No comments: