Thursday, December 28, 2006

Blue Christmas

Ahh. We got to have lunch at The Winds yesterday. Sans Boot, we were free to take Pie without him having to pretend like he hates it and without having to hear from Boot through the whole meal how much it sucked. I was afraid we wouldn't make it there on time, but we squeaked in just under the wire.

I should have listened to my first instinct to order a steamed eggnog, but J talked me into trying a Poinsettia, champagne with white peach purée and crème de cassis. Sounded fabulous. Unfortunately, they had just run out of the peach purée. I opted to get a Kir Royale instead. It was good, but once I had finished it I found myself still wanting the eggnog. Their eggnog is house-made and when it's steamed, it's fabulous. J told me to go ahead & get it. I'm so glad I did.

Pie had plain buttered penne while J ordered penne with their very spicy vodka sauce. I had the Blue Christmas, which I always end up ordering in December. It's a whole meal in a bowl and is utterly wonderful. They cook Christmas limas in red wine with carrots and onions. This is served with basmati rice and a wedge of buttered cabbage, all scattered with crumbled blue cheese. Amazing!

For dessert, Pie shared a slice of their chocolate nemesis, almost as good as mine, with J while I indulged in a crisp meringue topped with vanilla ice cream, soft poufy whipped cream and a dollop of Scharffen Berger chocolate sauce. Heaven!

No comments: