Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Dining

Here I sit in my new tiara, kitchen tidied up & new snowflake dishes washing. I am on a triptophan drowse, but wanted to post while I was thinking about it.

For breakfast today, in addition to stocking candy, we had a breakfast casserole and gingerbread muffins. Pie adored both & in fact had a third muffin for his dessert tonight, Boot declined both and ate leftover pizza instead. I make breakfast casserole every Christmas and try a different sweet each year. Last year, it was sticky buns. I have been doing the casserole in the crockpot & adding frozen hash browns to it. The texture has been somewhat odd to me and it has also been getting a little overdone. This year, I decided to return to making it in the oven, to much better result.

Breakfast Casserole
12 slices buttered bread
16 oz. shredded cheddar (I always use sharp or extra-sharp cheddar)
1 lb. cooked sausage (I think hot sausage is a must when you have so many other bland flavors)
8 eggs
4 c. milk
Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9 baking dish, layer bread on the bottom, overlapping. Then, scatter with sausage. Top with a layer of cheese. Whisk the eggs, milk, salt & pepper together and pour over the rest. Bake 45 minutes.

Gingerbread Muffins
1 2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c. dark brown sugar
1/3 c. light brown sugar
3/4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp. oil
4 tbsp. dark karo syrup
4 tbsp. molasses
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix egg with sugars. Add milk and balsamic vinegar. Add oil. Add karo & molasses. Add all of this to the dry mixture. Mix until combined but still a bit lumpy. Put in muffin cups and bake 20 minutes. Makes 12.
These were simply perfect for Christmas morning and made the house smell luscious. Next time I make them, I might add a sprinkle of coarse sugar to the top before baking.

Lunch was a free-for-all, with choices ranging from Hot Pockets to a leftover meatloaf sandwich to noshing on baked goods and stocking candy. Dinner was a reprise of Thanksgiving. J made a big gorgeous turkey, gravy and stuffing. I made Yukon mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. We also had some bagged spring mix with raspberry vinaigrette.

No comments: