Saturday, December 23, 2006

Who Needs The Melting Pot?

Not that I don't like going there, but I am perfectly happy to make my own fondue at home. During the West Virginia Christmas years, we usually had either quiche or fondue for Christmas Eve dinner. Those are Lenore's specialties. In fact, the first time I ever had fondue was as a child, visiting Lenore in her gracious Florida home. Now that I am exploring my Cuban roots, I make a Nochebuena feast of Cuban foods on Christmas Eve. The fondue tradition is important to me, too, though so I try to make it close to the holiday.

Cheese Fondue
1 clove garlic
1 c. dry white wine
8 oz. grated Gruyère cheese
8 oz. greated Jarlsburg cheese
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. kirsch
Salt & pepper
Nutmeg, freshly grated
French bread chunks
Rub a heavy pot with garlic, leaving shreds of it in the pot. Add wine & bring to a boil. Lower heat & add cheese, a little at a time, stirring each addition until melted. This step is important or you will have clumpy fondue. Dissolve the cornstarch in the kirsch. Add to cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Keep over a very low flame or in a fondue pot and serve with bread for dipping. You can also very lightly steam some veggies like cauliflower for dipping. If it gets too thick, you can stir in a small amount of hot wine to thin it. If you have leftovers, it's great over toast, too.

With this, I will serve a baby spinach salad and some orange wedges.

No comments: