Monday, February 12, 2007

Aegean Omelets & Buttermilk Cheese Scones

Inspired by a Weight Watchers omelet recipe, I decided not to follow it, preferring to use real eggs and some cheese. So much for losing weight. We had Aegean omelets (and Pie had a 3-cheese) and buttermilk cheese scones for dinner last night. I prepped the filling and left the actual omelet cooking to J, who was helping Pie bake a German chocolate cake at the same time dinner preparation was happening. We filled our omelets with cheddar cheese, tomato basil feta, chopped tomato and halved olives. I tossed some basil into the egg mixture, too. They were fabulous and the scones were the perfect accompaniment. This is my adaptation of a recipe from Real Simple.

Buttermilk Cheese Scones
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. cold butter, cut in small pieces
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar (you could also use Gruyère)
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1 tsp. tarragon (I was out of thyme)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Dash of salt
1 1/4 c. buttermilk (I faked it by using the same amount of 1% regular milk and adding 1 1/4 tsp. lemon juice, then letting it sit for about 10 minutes)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the flour, baking powder and butter together in a large mixing bowl. Rub together with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Alternately, pulse these items together in a food processor to the same effect. Add the other ingredients and stir until it sticks together...or mix it with your hands like I did. Knead it gently until it forms a ball. Shape it into a round about 1" thick. Cut into 12 wedges and place 2" apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 18-20 minutes. Serve piping hot.




1 comment:

Daria Schaffnit said...

Of course I remember you. Interesting that you should mention this particular diet. Although I haven't heard of it, my Weight Watchers leader (just rejoined)was talking about that principle last week! It makes perfect sense.

Congrats on your move back to bread! If the Bakehouse is the one I am thinking of, on the square right by the yarn shop, it is wonderful indeed! My mom, wife and I stopped in when I was doing a review of Night Sky Coffeehouse & thought the bread was luscious and the people really nice. I'll have to pop back by. I don't know Rahn or his breads, but will have to check them out, too.