Monday, February 19, 2007

Fairy Godfather Cabbage Soup

When both my fairy godfathers were alive, I used to love visiting them. Their West Virginia home was lovely and their hosting gracious. They always served something delicious and we had marvelous visits with them and their sweet dog, Bigley. I haven't had a chance to visit Michael and his new husband, Ron, in their new home yet, but I at least get to have happy thoughts of Michael when I make his recipes. This is a wonderful soup recipe that I have adapted from one I got from Ray & Michael. We had it Saturday night with hot rolls.

Sweet & Sour Cabbage Soup
10 oz. beef bottom round, cubed
1 tbsp. olive oil
6 c. beef broth
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes
2 c. shredded cabbage
1 large onion, thinly-sliced
1 c. sliced carrots
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. brown sugar
A pinch or two of thyme
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add beef and onions and cook until beef is browned. Add broth. Cover & simmer 20 minutes. Add veggies & cook 30 minutes. Mix lemon juice with brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add to pot. Cook 10 minutes.

No comments: