Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Pennies on the Window Soup

So-titled because this chocolate soup reminds me of being a little kid in the middle of winter, pressing pennies into the frost on the insides of the windows to see the impressions and being given hot cocoa by my mama. Chocolate soup may sound absurd (or disgusting, as Pie put it when I offered to make him some, too) or it may sound luscious. For chocolate lovers like me, it is the latter. This makes just enough for one and is best served with animal crackers, in your favorite mug, with a deep-bowled spoon. I adapted this recipe from one by Jane & Michael Stern. Next time, I may experiment with some cinnamon & cayenne.

Chocolate Soup
3/4 c. half and half (I used Land o'Lakes fat-free variety and it was perfectly rich with less fat)
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Pinch salt
2 tsp. good-quality baking cocoa (I used Ghirardelli)
1 egg yolk

Heat the half and half in a sturdy pan. Pour back into cup measure, leaving 1/4 c. in pan. Add sugar, vanilla, salt and cocoa to pan and mix to a syrupy consistency. Add egg yolk and cook, stirring, over low to medium heat. Gradually add half and half. Heat through, stirring until well-blended & thick. Serve hot, perhaps with a water chaser.



No comments: