Thursday, February 01, 2007

Fairy Cakes

When I make tiny bitty cupcakes, I like to call them fairy cakes. I very rarely do either cake or frosting from scratch other than my special chocolate nemesis cake. However, I wanted lemon icing for the batch of fluffy white fairy cakes I made this week, so I decided to make it. I started with a cup of powdered sugar and the juice of about 3/4 of a lemon. Then, I tinkered until I had the right consistency and flavor. I colored it with a smidgy bit of the fabulous & wonderful Wilton's concentrated icing colors so that it was a very pale yellow. Then, I dipped each fairy cake into the icing and sprinkled them with sugar flowers in pastel colors. They are delightful and Boot loves them. Pie is not a fan of lemon except in its two purest forms: lemonade and sucked right from the peel, so he won't eat them. J likes them, too. One package of cake mix makes 6 dozen fairy cakes, so they're nice for a crowd.

No comments: