Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Aunt Jeanie's Waffle Iron

As I was making dinner tonight, I thought of my aunt Jeanie. J had asked me a couple of weeks ago to make her pecan waffles for dinner one night. She adroes pecan waffles and tonight was the night. They were great. The waffle iron is a heart-shaped one that Jeanie gave me as a gift several years ago. I am so glad I didn't put it in storage. I can spend the winter making pecan waffles, chocolate waffles (Pie's request), gingerbread waffles, cornmeal waffles with chicken a la king...

Anyway, dinner was super simple and quick. J & Pie were really pleased with it, too. I just made regular waffles according to the directions on the Bisquick box, scattering a handful of chopped pecans on top of the waffles for the grown folks. Pie thought pecans in waffles sounded like something he wouldn't like, so I skipped it for his. He ended up drizzling one of his waffles with chocolate syrup, flipping it over onto the other and eating his waffles folded into a sandwich. J had hers with Mrs. Butterworth while I heated up real Vermont maple syrup for me. J fried up some fabulous bacon for us, the stuff we picked up at the West Side Market on a whim while we were picking out our kielbasa. Amazing stuff...even comparable to Nueske's. For dessert, we had hot cherry pie, made by J & Pie. All they did was throw some ready-made cherry pie filling into a ready-made crust & bake it, but it sure tasted good on this cold, cold night.

No comments: