Thursday, April 03, 2014

Annual Spring Equinox Dinner

I've been making the same first day of spring dinner since I was in my late teens or early 20s. I make salmon patties, boiled new potatoes with butter and fresh dill, and asparagus. I usually steam the asparagus, but this year, I roasted it. I make a lime or lemon butter sauce for dipping. The salmon patties, I learned from my grandmom, Janet. When I was about that age, I aspired to become as good a cook as her and as my almost-grandma, Mary. They both affirmed that I made it! Yay! If my darling liked tart sweets, we would also have lemon icebox pie, but alas, that will have to wait for company.

Salmon Patties for Spring
14 oz. can salmon, drained & flaked (I also pick out as much bone and skin as I can because they give me the heebie-jeebies, but they are perfectly edible)
25 saltine crackers, pulverized (I do this in my food processor, but you can also put them in a gallon ziploc & bash them with a rolling pin---this is especially satisfying if it's snowing 6" on the first day of spring)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Oil for frying
Tartar sauce or mayonnaise for serving, if you like (ketchup appeals to some people, as well)

Mix everything together and form into patties, using about 1/2 c. of the mixture for each. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high. Brown the patties on each side, then drain on paper towels before serving. Makes about 4. 



No comments: