Thursday, April 03, 2014

Meatloaf Burgers & Meatloaf

When I was making these burgers, I wasn't thinking of them as meatloaf burgers. But when Jeannene tasted hers, she said, "Meatloaf burgers!" It's a much quicker way to get the flavor of meatloaf than making a traditional one, that's for sure. They did fall apart like mad, so I suggest adding a handful of cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs when you're mixing them together. We had crinkle fries and lima beans with these.

Meatloaf Burgers
1 1/2 lb. ground beef (I used 90% lean, although they say you should never use super lean meat for burgers---these were not dry)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp. chili sauce
1 tbsp. mustard (the condiment, not the spice)
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt & pepper
Hamburger buns (I like the sesame seed ones)

Mix everything together and shape into 6 patties. Broil 5-7 minutes per side. Serve on buns with your favorite condiments (I like ketchup & mustard, Jeannene does mayo & ketchup). Serves 6. Or 3 teenage boys. 

I also made an actual meatloaf this month, using a recipe for the first time in a very long time. I have come to like my own meatloaf quite well and it's usually a result of just kind of noodling around. I will say that I definitely prefer ketchup meatloaf to brown gravy meatloaf. When my beautiful bride makes it, she likes to douse it in brown gravy, in addition to adding all kinds of veggies like peppers and carrots when forming the loaf. The boys would never eat it because of the veggies, but they wished I used brown gravy for mine! When I made this meatloaf, my adaptation of the one they serve at Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta, Jeannene really loved it. I still prefer ketchup to this version, with tomato sauce over top, as the tomato sauce was a little too sweet for me, but it was good stuff and made a fine sandwich the following day. We had it with mashed potatoes & corn, so that Jeannene could have the great pleasure of mixing them together. I always avert my eyes when this happens, but it gives me a little giggle, too, to see her so happy with her supper.

Meatloaf with Tomato Sauce
2 lb. ground beef (I used 90% lean)
1 1/2 c. diced onion (this was a little much for my taste)
1 c. diced green pepper
1 c. uncooked oatmeal
1/2 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. plus a splash of worcestershire sauce (the splash to replace the Heinz 57 sauce I could not find at any grocery around here)
1/2 tsp. pepper (I would reduce this to 1/4)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. butter
1 c. tomato sauce
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Mix all the ingredients through the eggs. Place in the loaf pan and bake 55 minutes. Pour off drippings, very carefully, and bake another 10 minutes to brown. Make tomato sauce: melt butter in small pan on medium-low heat. Add tomato sauce, sugar, and worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over the meatloaf. Serves 4-6.