Thursday, April 03, 2014

Lenore's Thick Veggie Soup

My cousin, Lenore, is a fabulous cook and is always very generous with her recipes. This soup recipe is one she shared with me for a family cookbook years ago. The cookbook was never put together (one of the projects on my plate for the coming year) & I didn't try the recipe until February of this year. I needed something good, simple, and easy to keep warm for long periods of time, as we were busy packing for our wedding trip. I have been missing out on deliciousness! This with some crusty bread or rolls and a piece of fruit makes a fine winter supper. I have made some small changes, but the credit must go to Lenore!

Lenore's Thick Veggie Soup
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 c. diced onion
1 c. chopped tomato (I subbed a can of diced tomatoes, it being winter)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. sliced zucchini
1/2 tsp. basil (in summer, I would toss in some fresh, chopped basil)
4 c. chicken stock (you can easily sub veggie stock for a vegetarian/vegan soup)
1 c. sliced carrots
2 tsp. chopped parsley
Salt & pepper, to taste

Cook onion & garlic in oil until translucent. Add the other ingredients, except the broth, cover, & cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Add broth & bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove a cup of the veggies, using a slotted spoon, and blend the rest with an immersion blender or, very carefully & in batches or you can make a huge mess and burn yourself, in a regular blender. Return the reserved veggies to the rest of the soup & heat through.  

No comments: